Tips for Your First Academic Advising Session
At Orientation, new students will meet individually or in small groups with their assigned academic advisor. Students are not allowed to register for classes until after the advising appointment. Here are some tips from UGA's academic advisors to prepare you for your first advising appointment:
• Want to change your major? Students wanting to change their major should do so at least 24 hours prior to check-in of their Orientation session.
• Explore the UGA Bulletin: All students, and particularly students who are undecided about their academic major, should explore the UGA Bulletin for information about UGA's vast array of over 170 academic programs.
• Explore the Course Schedule before meeting with your advisor, and create a tentative list of courses that you would like to take during your first semester at UGA. However, recognize that the course schedule is subject to change, and you will need to be flexible as you and your advisor create a schedule that combines your originally planned courses and the courses that are available at the time you come to register.
• Advisors meet with students only. Make sure your parents understand that you are expected to take control of your academic planning and goal setting during the advising appointment. Your parents should make alternative plans during your advising appointment. Nonetheless, it might be good to discuss your plans with your parents beforehand, in case they have questions.
• Familiarize yourself with UGA's Academic Support: the Division of Academic Enhancement offers UNIV courses to all students who want to refresh study skills, get an introduction to UGA, learn how to write a research paper, or many other topics. Students should also explore the UGA Writing Center in Park Hall.
• Explore the First-Year Odyssey Seminars: All First-Year students are required to take a one-hour First-Year Odyssey Seminar. There are more than 300 seminar topics to choose from, but we encourage you to come prepared with at least 10 seminars that you are interested in. Complete the FYO Worksheet and bring it to your advising appointment. Spaces in these courses are released throughout the summer.