*Updates to this information were made on 4.15.2022*
This summer, incoming fall start first-year students will be required to attend a 2-day orientation session. These sessions start officially at 12:00pm and end at 11:00pm for students and 6:00pm for families on Day 1. Day 2 is from 8:00am to 5:00pm for both students and families. Please note that academic advising appointments are randomly scheduled between 11:00am and 4:30pm on Day 2, so plan to leave UGA around 5:00pm to be safe.
Prior to arriving at orientation, you will receive a pre-orientation email to help prepare you to be successful at orientation. We also suggest you check out the First-Year to-do list prior to attending.
Please keep in mind that attending a New Student Orientation session is mandatory. These sessions will offer the opportunity to connect with other incoming students, campus staff, faculty and Orientation Leaders. It will also allow you to be even more prepared to be successful at UGA with campus tours, an introduction to dining halls, and resource and organizational fairs.
Five days prior to your session, you will be able to access your session schedule on the Welcome to UGA app for smartphones and tablets (alternate formats available upon request).
Students and families can begin checking in at the Tate Student Center starting at 9:00am with the official welcome starting at 12:00pm on Day 1. From 8:30am to 11:30am, students can participate in placement tests and from 9:30am to 11:30am orientation attendees can go on a campus tour. From 10:30am to 11:45am, students can attend Academic Area Meetings and learn more about their major and academic unit.
Parking for check-in and the duration of the orientation program will be in the Tate Student Center Parking Deck; students and families will need to stop and inform the parking attendant that they are there for orientation prior to parking.
Make sure to arrive before 12:00pm to take part in a number of orientation kickoff events.
- During orientation, University Testing Services will host Math, Italian, and German placement exams in-person exams in the Miller Learning Center (MLC) Room 171 between 8:30am and 11:30am. Please register ahead of time through the UTS website.
- Starting at 9:30am, Orientation Leaders will be available to show you some of the important UGA landmarks on historic North Campus, such as the Arch, Chapel Bell, and Fountain. The last tours will leave at 11:00am.
Academic Area Meetings
- Academic Area Meetings are spaces for students and families to speak with academic advisors in a drop-in style format. A select group of academic units will be present. These academic units will be listed in the “Welcome to UGA” app in the “Schedule” tab for your orientation session. These meetings will be available 10:30-11:45am.
These events will occur during the academic advising block. Feel free to participate before or after your academic advising appointment.
Pick Up Your Official UGA ID
- Please submit your picture prior to coming to orientation. Directions can be found at the UGA OneCard website. IDs can be picked up at the OneCard Office on the 3rd floor of the Tate Student Center between 12:00pm and 4:30pm.
- Starting at 1:15pm, Orientation Leaders will be available to show you some of the important UGA landmarks on historic North Campus, such as the Arch, Chapel Bell, and Fountain. The last tours will leave at 3:45pm.
- Starting at 1:15pm, attendees will be able to view a select option of residence halls. These residence halls will be listed in the “Welcome to UGA” app in the “Schedule” tab for your orientation session.
Students will be provided dinner on Day 1 and breakfast and lunch on Day 2. Families will have the opportunity to eat at the dining halls at a discounted rate during these meal times. There will also be retail locations open in Tate during the orientation session including Starbucks and Chick-Fil-A. Bolton Dining Commons is directly across Lumpkin Street from the Tate Center and is available for lunch and dinner.