"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayals of false friends; to appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
You are about to embark on one of the greatest adventures of your life--college! We are excited to welcome you to the University of Georgia! We also look forward to introducing you to the unique college town of Athens, the "Classic City." Athens and the surrounding community is a one-of-a-kind place that we know you will learn to love and cherish.
Inspired by the University of Georgia's motto "To teach, to serve, and to inquire into the nature of things," Paws for a Cause gives new students the opportunity to give back to the Athens-Clarke County community. Orientation is calling on students and parents to participate in our community service project: "Paws for a Cause."
Just as Orientation will prepare you for a successful beginning to your UGA experience, with your help, Paws for a Cause, will provide students at 14 local elementary schools with the supplies they need to start their school years the right way.
These books will be donated to local schools and programs in the Athens-Clarke County community. Many schools and programs in our area have a shortage of reading material. Without books, reading and literacy suffers which can lead to a decline in educational achievement and access to opportunities. You can help by donating new or gently used, age appropriate books for preschool to 12th grade students. Donations can be dropped off at the Ticket Booth on the 5th floor of the Tate Student Center.
Below you will find the supplies needed in local Athens-Clarke County schools.
- 2,000 Spiral Bound Notebooks
- 100,000 Sheets of Wide-Ruled Loose Leaf Paper
- 1,000 Composition Notebooks
- 10,000 Index Cards
- 10,000 Sticky Notes
- 500 1 inch 3 Ring Binders
- 1,000 Tab Dividers
- 500 Pencil Bags/Boxes
- 500 Clipboards
- 1,000 Duo-Tang Folders (3 Brad Pocket Folders)
- 1,000 Pocket Folders without Brads
- 10,000 Pencils
- 1,000 Pencil Sharpeners
- 5,000 Pink Erasers
- 1,000 Boxes of Colored Pencils
- 1,000 Boxes of Crayons
- 500 Boxes of Markers
- 500 Assorted Highlighters
- 500 Assorted Dry Erase Markers
- 10,000 Zip Lock Bags
- 1,000 Bottles of Hand Sanitizer
- 1,000 Boxes of Tissue/Kleenex
- 500 Boxes of Band-aids
- 500 Rulers (Inches & Centimeters)
- 1,000 Glue Sticks
- 1,000 Bottles of Elmer's Clue
- 500 Fiskar Scissors
If you want to help, please bring any of the above items with you when you check-in on your assigned Orientation date. Your contributions will help approximately 7,000 elementary school students at the following Elementary Schools:
- Alps Road - 500 students
- Barnett Shoals - 650 students
- Barrow - 450 students
- Chase Street - 250 students
- Cleveland Road - 400 students
- Fowler Drive - 500 students
- Gaines School Road - 600 students
- Oglethorpe Ave - 550 students
- Howard B. Stroud - 400 students
- Timothy Road - 500 students
- Whit Davis - 650 students
- Whitehead Road - 550 students
- Winterville - 500 students
- J.J. Harris - 400 students
Thank you for your donations.
The Orientation Service Project is a collaboration between the University of Georgia Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Clarke County School District.