Become an Orientation Leader
Are you ready to commit to inspire and impact new students at the University of Georgia? Do you want to welcome the next generation of Dawgs to the University you love? If you're ready to learn, lead, be challenged, grow, and serve… Become an Orientation Leader! The Orientation Leader experience is a rewarding experience that provides opportunities for personal and professional growth.
The 2018 Orientation Leader Application NOW available. See below for information about the qualifications, position responsibilities, and application process.
Qualified applicants must:
• Be enrolled full-time at the University of Georgia as an undergraduate student currently and for the Spring and Fall of 2017.
• Be in good academic and judicial standing with the university and must not violate the student code of conduct or academic honor policy. A student may not hold the orientation leader position while on academic or disciplinary probation.
• Must maintain a minimum GPA of a 2.75
More importantly, an applicant should be someone with strong communication skills, genuine enthusiasm for the University of Georgia, a desire to learn and grow, and the ability to work well on a team.
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
An Orientation Leader will be expected to:
• Serve as a resource to students and families during and after Orientation by answering questions, sharing information and personal anecdotes, and connecting them to campus resources.
• Serve as group leader and discussion facilitator for students during each Orientation session.
• Live in the Orientation residence hall throughout the summer.
• Perform in skits and other presentations at Orientation.
• Assist new students with course registration during each Orientation session.
• Provide an engaging tour of campus to Orientation attendees that highlights the University's academic, athletic, and co-curricular opportunities as well as its history and traditions.
The 2018 Orientation Leaders must be available for the following dates:
• January – May 2018 Wednesdays from 3:00pm – 5:00pm: Weekly Training Meetings
• January 12 – 14, 2018: Orientation Leader Retreat
• February 3, 2018: Team Meeting
• February 17, 2018: Team Meeting
• March 3, 2018: Team Meeting
• March 14 – 18, 2018: Southern Regional Orientation Workshop in Orlando, FL
• May 13 – May 29, 2018: Orientation Leader Training
• May 30- August 10, 2018: Summer Orientation
• August 12, 2018: Freshmen Welcome
Apply to Be an Orientation Leader
The Orientation Leader Application is now live. All parts should be submitted online to firstname.lastname@example.org and saved in the following format: Last name_First name (example – Dawg_Harry).
By applying to be an Orientation Leader, you give New Student Orientation permission to review your academic records, including high school & UGA GPA and University of Georgia judicial & academic honor record. If you do not meet the minimum GPA requirements or are not in good standing with the University, you will be notified via your UGA email that you will not be continuing in the selection process.
All applications are to be completed electronically and emailed to email@example.com, with all supporting materials by Wednesday, October 11th, 2017 at 5pm. If candidates are selected to move forward in the process, they will be contacted via email to schedule a group interview. If candidates are selected to move forward beyond the group interview, they will be contacted via email to schedule an individual interview. Final decisions will be made prior to December 1st, 2017.
For additional information about the New Student Orientation program or the Orientation Leader Experience, refer to orientation.uga.edu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applicants are required to attend one of our Information Sessions to learn more about the Orientation Leader experience, meet the New Student Orientation professional staff, and hear from previous Orientation Leaders. Information Sessions will take place in the MLC 207at 7:00PM on the following dates:
• Thursday, September 21st
• Tuesday, September 26th
• Monday, October 2nd
• Wednesday, October 4th
• Tuesday, October 10th
Applicants who have submitted a completed application and have been chosen to continue on in the process will be invited via their UGA email to participate in a Group Interview. These interviews will be conducted October 12th-17th, 2017.
Applicants chosen to continue the interview process after group interviews will be invited via their UGA email to participate in an Individual Interview. These interviews will occur October 19th-31st, 2017.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have created a guide to help address any questions you may have about the Orientation Leader application, interview process, and position.